Sheriff Richard Fuller held a press conference this morning to give official results of body found in Lake Charles. Sheriff Fuller verified that the body found was indeed that of Dr. Taleka Patrick. He states that her death appears to be an accidental drowning, and unless any new information comes to his office, there are no next steps. Case will be closed. He did say that he is waiting for toxicology results, but that could be three more weeks. Sheriff Fuller then attempted to paint a series of unfortunate events that led to her drowning.
1. Dr. Patrick left her hospital belongings in her locker. Appears she had no plans of returning.
2. Went to hotel but never booked a room. Told desk attendant she had to go back for her things and used hotel shuttle. Debarked from shuttle and told driver she would not need ride back.
3. Shuttle driver testifies that she entered a gold-colored car and drove away from lot alone. Driver did not see any other cars pull off from lot.
4. She told colleagues she had rented a white vehicle since her car was in shop. But repair shop states they released car back to her. Shop warned her of tires and that they needed to be replaced.
5. Sheriff states it is believed she was on her way to visit an acquaintance in St. Louis. Motorist called police to report car driving erratically on I-94. Motorist recalled only seeing one person in car. A little later different motorist called to report car on side of the road along same location. Police arrive about ten minutes later to find car abandoned, unlocked with Dr. Patrick’s wallet inside carrying credit cards and seven dollars. No keys found.
6. Lake Charles is surrounded by high fence and is believed Dr. Patrick found a way to get to the other side perhaps to seek help. There were residential properties further along. But it would have been very dark at night.
7. Lake may have been obscured by darkness and tall weeds. Lake shallow initially but drops off deeper. Deepest lake depth is twenty-one feet.
8. At the time of Dr. Patrick’s disappearance, lake had not yet frozen over. But shortly afterward, lake froze.
9. Police did return to lake before to cut holes and search but found nothing at time.
10. Dr. Patick’s body did not present with any trauma or evidence of foul play.
11. Rev. Marvin Sapp has cooperated and was only an innocent victim of possible stalking.
12. It appears that Dr. Patrick was very skilled in hiding her troubles.
The other person working on this case for the family is private investigator, James Carlin. We have not yet heard a statement from him. As far as any other specifics about what exactly happened that night, Sheriff Fuller did say we do not know because none of us were there. Please continue to pray for the family of Dr. Teleka Patrick.
Follow me on twitter @msjustice2